|We are an Affiliate!|
We hope you love the products we recommend! As an Amazon Associate and affiliate of other programs we earn from qualifying purchases, and we may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Thank you if you use our links, we really appreciate it!
Memory cards can be complicated to get right, how many photos will this SD card write? How much video can I record to the Lumix S5? This article will cut through the haze and show you which are the best memory cards for the Panasonic Lumix S5.
Don’t have time to read the full article to tailor your card choice? Then for general use the best memory card for the Panasonic S5 is the SanDisk Extreme Pro SD card; this card will cover all recording modes available.
Last update on 2021-08-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
But to get a card that’s tailored specifically to your camera use we need to delve into the details and find out how much photo and how much video you can write to the Panasonic Lumix S5.
- A LIGHTWEIGHT, POWERFUL HYBRID CAMERA FOR VIBRANT STILL PHOTOGRAPHY AND CINEMATIC VIDEO: Realize your creative vision with extraordinary 4K 60p, 10-bit video, FHD 180fps Slow Motion option as well as 4:3 Anamorphic support.
- DETAILED PHOTO AND VIDEO THAT WILL DELIGHT ENTHUSIASTS AND EXPERTS ALIKE: Capture content in impressive high quality with 96MP High Resolution mode, Dual Native ISO to minimize noise in high sensitivity and V-Log/V-Gamut with 14-plus stop dynamic range.
Last update on 2022-04-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
What Memory Card Does the Panasonic S5 Use?
The Panasonic Lumix S5 has two memory card slots that supports SD memory cards.
Slot one is compatible with UHS-I/UHS-II UHS Speed Class 3 standard SDHC/SDXC Memory Cards and UHS-II Video Speed Class 90 standard SDXC Memory Cards.
Slot two is compatible with UHS-I UHS Speed Class 3 standard SDHC/SDXC Memory Cards.
You have to use a card that is ‘UHS-I / UHS-II UHS Speed Class 3 (U3)’ when recording motion pictures with MP4 in 4K, MOV, S&Q, 6K PHOTO or 4K PHOTO.
When using an SDHC memory card, you can continue recording without interruption even if the file size exceeds 4 GB or 30 minutes, but the motion picture file will be divided and recorded/played back separately.
My recommendation for the best memory cards for the Panasonic Lumix S5 is using V90 cards for video recording or high speed photo shooting. Faster write speeds are important for not having dropped frames.
How Much 4K Can the Panasonic Lumix S5 Record?
Similar to the Panasonic Lumix GH6, the S5 supports the two same recording file formats:
- MOV: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, H.265/HEVC
- MP4: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, H.265/HEVC
And here are the record times possible on the S5:
Last update on 2021-08-31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Do bear in mind these are approximations for the record times/capacities. Your actual record times can vary due to external factors like weather conditions and battery condition for example.
The S1 has a recording limit for 4K 10bit 60p of 30 minutes maximum. After which you will have to start recording again.
Panasonic also state that the bitrate will actually change depending on the subject. As a result ‘video recording time is shortened when a fast moving subject is recorded’.
The Other Best Memory Cards for the Panasonic Lumix S5
The SanDisk Extreme Pro range is one of my preferred brands for SD cards and they have yet to fail me in my (just over) 10 years as a professional wedding photographer.
Of course there are other brands producing SD cards that are just as good, some even better.
Sony for example and the Tough series are cards that should last many years of use.
The build quality is of particular note, built with what looks like one plastic case instead of two. The design looks like it will help it to take a fair bit of use.
Below is an (automatically updated) list of the bestselling UHS-II cards on Amazon to also consider:
- Tap into pro performance designed for professional and advanced photographers and videographers.
- Super-fast write speeds of up to 260MB/s* help rapidly clear buffer time to support continuous burst mode shooting and cinema-quality video recording(2). Requires compatible devices capable of reaching such speeds.
- Get high-speed performance with UHS-II technology (U3) for a read transfer speed up to 250MB/s (1667x)
- Captures high-quality images and extended lengths of stunning 1080P full-HD, 3D, and 4K video with a DSLR camera, HD camcorder, or 3D camera
- High-speed performance—leverages UHS-II technology (U3) for a read transfer speed up to 300MB/s (2000x)
- Captures high-quality images and extended lengths of Full-HD and cinema-quality 4K video
- TURN YOUR PASSION INTO PROFIT – CALLING ALL VLOGGERS, INFLUENCERS, FILMMAKERS, PHOTOGRAPHERS & VIDEOGRAPHERS: Become an instant pro by adding our professional line of SD cards to your kit. Focus on curating the finest content for your clients/audience while our SDXC Cards do the backend heavy lifting of storing and uploading your work efficiently every time.
- LIGHTING FAST 250MB/s WRITE SPEED – INSTANTLY SAVE high resolution recordings to your device, ALL WHILE maintaining super sharp focus. STOP waiting around for your images/recordings to upload, with our Read Speed of 300 MB/s even your most robust work can be uploaded in seconds!
- Waterproof (IPX8)/ Dustproof (ipx6)4
- Up to 277MB/s read speed and 150MB/s write speed
Last update on 2021-12-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
No S5 owner should have to get the wrong choice of memory card when all the information for finding the best memory cards for the Panasonic Lumix S5 is here in this article; either by spending more than is needed on too large a capacity memory card, or just as bad, getting a card that’s too small for your needs.
Making the error of getting too small capacity cards will mean having to make workarounds for the inevitable bottlenecks you will encounter. Too large capacity SD cards for your needs means extra money spent that could be spent on other essential gear you need.
Get the right memory card the first time.
When you have picked the right card for your needs you will then need an SD card reader to get your data off quickly and efficiently:
- Simultaneously read and write on two cards to save yourself the effort of constant unplugging and re-plugging.
- USB 3.0 enables data transfer rates of up to 5Gbps for faster Sync times, backward compatible with USB 2.0/ 1.1.
Last update on 2021-07-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
If you’re using the Panasonic S5 to build your own business, then you need to check out my comprehensive guide on How to Start a Creative Business. All the best info you need to know about starting to build a business is there; with links out to more related articles, that delve into further detail.
Also check me out on YouTube for even more content.
Artist / Photographer / Videographer