|We are an Affiliate!|
We hope you love the products we recommend! As an Amazon Associate and affiliate of other programs we earn from qualifying purchases, and we may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Thank you if you use our links, we really appreciate it!
Memory cards can be complicated to get right, how many photos will this SD card write? How much video can I record to the X-H2S? This article will slice through the mist and show you which are the best memory cards for the Fujifilm X-H2S.
If you don’t have time to read this article in full to tailor your card choice then for general use the best memory card for the Fujifilm X-H2S is the Sony Tough UHS-II V90 SD card and ProGrade CFExpress Type B card; these cards will cover all recording modes available as well as high speed continuous shooting.
Last update on 2021-08-31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
While these two cards will cover everything the X-H2S is capable of, if you are only shooting photos or recording HD 1080p then you can get lower spec cards which I will cover below.
So to get a card that’s tailored to your specific camera use we need to dig into the details and find out how many photos and how much video you can write to the Fujifilm XH2S.
What Memory Card Does the Fujifilm X-H2S Use?
The Fujifilm X-H2S has two memory card slots with one memory card slot supporting a CFExpress Type B memory card like the new Canons.
CFExpress Type B is the newer format capable of the faster read/write speeds and while more expensive will be the best memory card for the Fujifilm XH2S.
And the second which supports the more widely available UHS-II SD cards. I recommend SDXC cards which are UHS-II. These are faster than UHS-I and will also hold more storage than SDHC.
How Much 4K Can the Fujifilm X-H2S Record?
The X-H2S has no record time limit which even my personal R6 has yet to be updated to be capable of. So you can essentially record until you run out of power, or out of memory, or if the camera becomes overheated.
There are still limits or caveats to consider though. Fujifilm state for recording any movies use CFExpress Type B cards or SD memory cards with UHS Speed Class 3 or higher. These more expensive cards will have sufficient read write speeds to record the higher bitrate videos.
Fujifilm state the ProRes codec can only be recorded to CFExpress Type B cards.
For recording video in 360Mbps, use a CFExpress Type B card or SD memory card with Video Speed Class V60 or higher. This is all stated in the manual but I would still actually opt for V90 cards.
For recording video in the highest bitrates possible, 720Mbps and higher, use CFExpress Type B or a SD memory card with Video Class V90 or higher. At the end of this article are recommended V90 SD cards available on Amazon to choose from.
Also take into account how much you can record with a full battery:
A fully charged battery in good condition will record:
6.2K video: 90 minutes (29.97p)
4K video: 70 minutes (59.94p), Approximately 60 minutes in 120p
FullHD video: 95 minutes (59.94p)
(All with face detection set to OFF)
So with all that info here are the record times possible on the X-H2S:
Last update on 2022-06-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Do bear in mind these are approximations for the storage capacities. Your actual record times can vary due to other factors like weather conditions, battery condition or temperature.
These are not the full list of bitrates worked out, but the ones most commonly used. Below is the full list of bitrates for to work out if your requirements are for the lower bitrates:
How Much 6K Can the Fujifilm X-H2S Record?
The 6K video sizes are monstrously huge and will correspondingly need huge memory cards. CFExpress Type B cards are the most suitable choice and the larger capacity the better. With a 325GB card you can get about 26 minutes of record time at 6.2K 24P ProRes 4:2:2.
- Lightning-Fast Speed for Flawless Frames: Our CFexpress™ cobalt memory cards were engineered with a write speed of 1500MB/s, allowing your burst of shots to be as clear and breathtaking as ever. Optimized for 4K, 5K, 6K and beyond, make every frame a work of art with these deluxe memory cards. Plus, its extreme speed alleviates you from the frustration of dropped frames.
- Advanced Technology that Uses Less Camera Battery: Now even your storage accessories can help protect your camera from flatlining in mid shot. You might already know of the Prograde Digital™ reputation for high-end digital products, but our Gold & Cobalt series sd cards were optimized above and beyond to keep your camera's battery running longer so you can capture more. Not too shabby considering these large sd storage cards were also designed for continuous video shots.
Last update on 2022-03-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
How Many Images Can The Fujifilm X-H2S Write?
There are a few variables that determine how many images the Fujifilm X-H2S can write. For instance the X-H2S uses a NP-W235 Li-on battery which is rated to shoot up to 720 images in Economy mode and 580 shots in Normal mode.
Using my recommended choice of SD cards, the Sony Tough range, with a write speed of 299MBps/Write V90 shooting Lossless Compressed Raw at 40FPS, you can get almost 150 shots before the X-HS2’s buffer hit its limit. Which is not a bad sustained burst rate.
If you drop that FPS down below the max 40FPS, you could possible shoot until the memory card reaches full capacity.
Now choosing the CFExpress Type B card with a 1530MB/s Write speed at 40FPS you can shoot about 190-220 shots in a continuous burst. Another benefit is that with CFExpress Type B cards the buffer clears a lot quicker so you can start shooting again.
The Other Best Memory Cards for the Fujifilm X-H2S
The SanDisk Extreme Pro range is one of my preferred brands for SD cards and they have yet to fail me in my (just over) 10 years as a professional wedding photographer.
But there are other brands producing SD cards that are just as good, if not better.
Sony for example and the Tough series are cards that should last many years of use.
The build quality is of particular note, built with what seems like one plastic case instead of two. The design looks like it will help it to take a good bit of use.
Below is an (automatically updated) list of the bestselling UHS-II cards on Amazon to also consider:
- Tap into pro performance designed for professional and advanced photographers and videographers.
- Super-fast write speeds of up to 260MB/s* help rapidly clear buffer time to support continuous burst mode shooting and cinema-quality video recording(2). Requires compatible devices capable of reaching such speeds.
- Get high-speed performance with UHS-II technology (U3) for a read transfer speed up to 250MB/s (1667x)
- Captures high-quality images and extended lengths of stunning 1080P full-HD, 3D, and 4K video with a DSLR camera, HD camcorder, or 3D camera
- High-speed performance—leverages UHS-II technology (U3) for a read transfer speed up to 300MB/s (2000x)
- Captures high-quality images and extended lengths of Full-HD and cinema-quality 4K video
- TURN YOUR PASSION INTO PROFIT – CALLING ALL VLOGGERS, INFLUENCERS, FILMMAKERS, PHOTOGRAPHERS & VIDEOGRAPHERS: Become an instant pro by adding our professional line of SD cards to your kit. Focus on curating the finest content for your clients/audience while our SDXC Cards do the backend heavy lifting of storing and uploading your work efficiently every time.
- LIGHTING FAST 250MB/s WRITE SPEED – INSTANTLY SAVE high resolution recordings to your device, ALL WHILE maintaining super sharp focus. STOP waiting around for your images/recordings to upload, with our Read Speed of 300 MB/s even your most robust work can be uploaded in seconds!
- Waterproof (IPX8)/ Dustproof (ipx6)4
- Up to 277MB/s read speed and 150MB/s write speed
Last update on 2021-12-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Fujifilm X-H2S FAQ
What type of memory card does the Fujifilm X-H2S take?
The X-H2S uses CFExpress Type B cards and the classic SD memory cards.
Is the Fujifilm X-H2S compatible with UHS-II SD cards?
Yes, the X-H2S is compatible with UHS-II SD cards.
How many memory card slots does the Fujifilm X-H2S have?
The Fujifilm XH2S has two memory card slots.
No X-H2S owner should have to get the incorrect choice of memory card when all the information is here in this article; by either spending more than is needed on too large a capacity memory card, or just as bad, getting a card that’s too small for your needs.
Making the mistake of getting too small capacity cards will mean having to make workarounds for the inevitable bottlenecks you will encounter. Too large capacity SD cards for your needs means extra money spent that could be spent on other essential gear you need.
Get the best memory cards for the Fujifilm X-H2S the first time.
When you have picked the correct card for your needs you will then need an SD card/CFExpress Card reader to get your data off quickly and efficiently:
Last update on 2022-01-08 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
If you’re using the Fujifilm X-H2S to build a business, then you need to check out my complete guide on How to Start a Creative Business. All the right info you need to know about starting to build a business is there; and links out to even more related articles that go into further detail.
And check me out on YouTube for even more video content.
Artist / Photographer / Videographer